Insurance for dinghy owners
We created our dinghy insurance cover specifically for dinghy owners. Whether you’re new or an existing client, our friendly team is always ready to answer your questions and find cover that’s right for you.
Our features and benefits
Comprehensive standard policy to enjoy your dinghy
- Racing cover
- Road transit up to 9 metres
- UK wide and 30 days use in Europe.
Accidental damage to protect you from the unforeseen
- Protection against accidental and malicious damage
- Fire and theft
- Salvage charges.
£5 million third party liability cover for peace of mind
- Indemnity cover if you damage another boat, property or injures a person.
Specialist boat insurance benefits at no extra cost
- RYA member discount
- Any sailor cover with your permission
- Multi-dinghy discount
- 7 days claims helpline.
Dinghy insurance policy detail
We’re always transparent about what’s included in our dinghy insurance cover. But if you’re not sure what kind of cover you need, feel free to get in touch with our friendly team.
We take your personal requirements into account to provide you with the level of cover that’s right for you.
What is insured?
Please note this list is not exhaustive – refer to full policy document for details.
Cover for you and your dinghy:
- Loss or damage to your insured property by one or more of the following: accident, fire, theft, malicious damage and vandalism
- Loss or damage occurring during hauling out, launching and lifting by crane, including fitting out and overhauling
- Loss or damage whilst in transit by road included as standard for vessels up to 9 metres in length
- Liability to third parties and non-fare paying passengers ‒ £5 million as standard
- Your legal expenses in settling or defending a claim, solicitor’s fees and other expenses relating to official enquiries or a coroner’s inquest.
What's not insured?
- The cost of repairing or replacing any part that is lost or damaged because it is faulty
- Loss or damage caused by insects, marine borers, barnacles, marine growth, fungi or molluscs
- Any liabilities incurred whilst your boat is being used by, or is in the custody or control of any person employed in the marine trade in conjunction with their business.
Sensible pricing delivered in a very friendly and efficient way. Glad I met them at the dinghy show.Mark from Gurnsey
Why insure your dinghy with us?
Our team is different because we understand the lifestyle of owning a dinghy. Having dinghy insurance experts do the hard work for you will help you enjoy your hobby with confidence and peace of mind.
We’re proud to offer:
- 40 years of marine broking experience, backed by the world’s leading insurance broker and risk adviser
- Real people giving you a personalised service
- A diverse team passionate about boats
- Market value and agreed value policies
- A trusted partner of the RYA
- Quality products backed by A-rated insurers
- The flexibility to buy the way you want – online or over the phone
- Access to our friendly team who is always on hand to help, especially if buying online isn’t quite right for you.
Our promise to you
We take boat insurance seriously, so you’ll always know you’re in the right hands. We promise to:
- Represent your interests at the time of a claim to get you the very best outcome
- Give proactive risk management advice to protect your boat
- Make it easy to make changes to your cover throughout the year.
Going the extra mile
Our dedicated team loves to answer your questions and go the extra mile wherever they can. And we’re not just boat experts, we’re also experts in:
- Finding solutions to fit clients’ complex needs
- Explaining policy conditions and exclusions so you don’t fall foul of them
- Explaining the risks to new boat owners
- Walking you through the whole process of insuring your vessel.
Still not sure what dinghy cover you need?
No problem, we'd love to talk to you about your dinghy. Call our experts today.
Frequently asked questions
Equipment and fittings
Our policy will cover your hull, mast, rigging, sails and fitted equipment along with trailer and/or launch trolley if required.
Even if you don’t race your dinghy, you could be involved in a collision. This could cause damage to your boat, as well as boats or property owned by third parties. A collision could also cause injury to other people and this is all covered under our policy.
On the road
If your dinghy or trailer was damaged in a road traffic accident for example, it’s unlikely this will be covered under your motor insurance. Our policy will cover damage to your dinghy or trailer whilst being towed.
- Assistance in the recovery of uninsured losses such as your policy excess and personal injury from a negligent third party.
- Contract disputes in connection with your vessel, for example with a repairer or storage provider.
We offer two options:
- Third party liability cover only ‒ third party cover to others for injury or damage caused up to £5 million.
- Comprehensive cover – damage to or loss of or from your vessel up to the total sum insured along with third party cover to others for injury or damage caused up to £5 million.
It’s often a policy requirement to keep your boat well maintained and safe from obvious dangers. For example, if the boat is going to spend the winter at a sailing club on its trailer or trolley, it should be tied down and secured with a protective cover, and all loose gear including the sails removed to safe storage.
With storms more prevalent during the winter months, in some parts of the country damage is inevitable. Rigging should be checked to ensure none of the wires are broken, and trailer bearings need to be checked and greased as they often seize resulting in consequential damage to the boat.