Welcome to Bishop Skinner Marine.
We understand your boat is more than just a hobby, it’s your pride and joy.
But we don’t just understand your passion, we share it. Finding the right cover for your prized possession means talking to experts who understand its true value to you.
Many of our team are boat owners themselves. So we understand how important having the right insurance is to protect what you value most, to give you the freedom to enjoy being out on the water.
We provide insurance solutions for a variety of vessels. No matter what kind of vessel you own, our experts can help you arrange the kind of insurance that you need.
Owning a dinghy is an exciting lifestyle that naturally comes with certain risks. Our specialist dinghy insurance team can help you find the right solution to cover you so you can enjoy your time on the water with peace of mind.
Many of our team are sailing enthusiasts, so we understand the kind of insurance cover you’re looking for.
Our expert team will work closely with you to understand how you sail, and where, to find you cover that takes all of your individual needs into account.
Narrowboats offer a unique lifestyle which deserves unique insurance cover, created specifically for narrowboat owners.
By joining our community of narrowboat owners, you’ll benefit from specialist insurance cover that takes your needs and lifestyle into account.
Being a RIB owner comes with an exciting lifestyle, and many people enjoy the thrill that come with it. Our specialist RIB insurance team will find you the right cover so you can enjoy your time on the water with peace of mind.
You chose your motorboat carefully to suit your lifestyle, so we’re offering specialist motorboat insurance cover to fit your individual needs.
Our specialist small boat insurance team will work closely with you to get to know you and your boat, and how you to use it. This allows us to find the perfect small boat cover to fit your unique needs.
Owning a paddleboard brings a lot of enjoyment, but it also comes with unique risks. Our specialist stand-up paddleboard insurance team will find you the right cover so you can get to paddleboarding with peace of mind.
Our specialist windsurf insurance team takes the time to get to know you and the gear you have chosen. This will help us find you cover that takes all of your individual needs into account.
Features and benefits
We know everyone enjoys the water differently. That’s why we offer insurance cover that’s tailored to your needs.
Peace of mind that you're covered:
- Cover for a broad array of cruising ranges
- Flexible racing cover tailored to you
- Road transit up to 9 metres with option to extend
- Any sailor cover with your permission
- No excess on non-fault claims whilst moored in a UK marina
- Up to 25% no claims bonus protected
- In-house claims team to support you from start to finish
- Discount for RYA members.
Including protection from the unforeseen
- Accidental damage including fire and theft
- Third party indemnity cover
- Personal accident cover up to the age of 76.
What's covered in our boat insurance policies?
Cover for you and your craft:
- Loss or damage to your insured property by one or more of the following: accident, fire, theft, malicious damage and vandalism
- Loss or damage occurring during hauling out, launching and lifting by crane, including fitting out and overhauling
- Loss or damage whilst in transit by road included as standard for vessels up to 9 metres in length
- Liability to third parties and non-fare paying passengers ‒ £5 million as standard
- Your legal costs in settling or defending a claim, solicitor’s fees and other expenses relating to official enquiries or a coroner’s inquest.
Easy to use online, very competitive price, £20 cheaper than my previous insurance, cover was exactly what I required.Kevin
Why choose us for your boat insurance?
Did you know that, on average, our clients have voyaged with us for 8+ years?
Our team is different because we understand the lifestyle of owning various types of vessels. Having our boat insurance experts do all the hard work lets you get back to enjoying your hobby with confidence and peace of mind.
We’re proud to offer:
- 40 years of marine broking experience, backed by the world’s leading insurance broker and risk adviser
- Real people giving you a personalised service
- A diverse team passionate about boats
- Market value and agreed value policies
- A trusted partner of the RYA
- Quality products backed by A-rated insurers
- The flexibility to buy the way you want – online or over the phone
- Access to our friendly team who is always on hand to help, especially if buying online isn’t quite right for you.
Who is Bishop Skinner?
Learn about our personal service ethos and what we can do for you...
Our promise to you
We take boat insurance seriously, so you’ll always know you’re in the right hands. We promise to:
- Represent your interests at the time of a claim to get you the very best outcome
- Provide proactive risk management advice to protect your boat
- Make it easy for you to make changes to your cover throughout the year.
We'll go the extra mile when you need us to
Our dedicated team loves to answer your questions and go the extra mile wherever they can. And we’re not just boat experts, we’re also experts in:
- Finding solutions for clients’ complex needs
- Explaining conditions and exclusions so you don’t fall foul of them
- Explaining the risks to new boat owners
- Walking you through the whole process of insuring a boat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you will receive third party insurance cover as standard with all of our boat policies.
Third party liability cover is the minimum cover you will receive with our comprehensive boat insurance.
Third party cover comes included in our fully comprehensive cover as mentioned in your insurance documents.
We can cover a wide variety of boating vessels which are grouped as follows ‒ click the appropriate link for more information:
While it is not usually a legal requirement on most waters, having appropriate cover makes sound financial sense. Marine mortgage companies for instance insist on compulsory insurance as part of their money lending process. However, there are two stand-out reasons why boat insurance is important:
- Firstly you have to protect your capital investment against loss or damage which ultimately could result in a large and costly repair bill if the worst were to happen.
- Secondly having adequate boat insurance can help to protect you against any third party liability for injury or damage caused by you or your vessel. Third party liability is usually the most frequent claim we receive when it comes to boat insurance.
From a small dinghy to a large super-yacht or a super-fast Jet Ski, each type of vessel will attract a different level of risk, so just like car insurance - boats are usually categorised according to their vessel type and risk.
It goes without saying that a Sunseeker with powerful engines that costs a million pounds will be far more expensive to insure than a smaller, much less powerful craft.
A yacht will also have a different risk assessment than a dinghy or a jet ski, so insurers will factor in the type of the vessel and any potential repair bills before calculating the premium.
In general, the actual size of the boat isn't as important as its value, how easily it could be stolen and the potential for damage. If your boat is trailer-able and spends a large amount of time safely tucked away on your drive, you'll probably pay a different premium than if it was stored at a marina.
The area in which you keep and use your boat will also have an influence on the level of premium you pay and may have restrictions on cover that are subject to local weather conditions.
Finally, the experience of the owner / users and the type of use i.e. whether it is used privately, as a charter or racing vessel and of course any previous claims experiences are all taken into consideration when calculating the premium.
The level of premium is obviously important but it should not be the sole deciding factor: you should try and strike a harmonious balance between costs vs. benefits.
All policies are different, so make sure you choose one that provides the cover you want and need. Handy tip - assess the most expensive parts of your boat and check that your policy provides cover for damage to these, as well as what deductions may apply in the event of a claim.
- Are any replacement costs issued on a new-for-old basis?
- Exclusions - make sure you look out for any exclusion in your policy. All policies have them, so check your wording very carefully.
- Ensure that the policy covers any cruising grounds you wish to sail into.
- Finally, make sure the insurer is authorised and approved by the regulatory body of the country in which they are based; here it is the Financial Conduct Authority.
Any physical damage covered by a boat insurance policy will usually include equipment such as hull, sails, machinery, furnishings, on-board equipment and the trailer if applicable.
Standard cover generally provides:
- Accidental damage, including fire, theft and malicious damage, sinking, stranding, collisions and salvage costs.
- Damage to engines.
- Transit risks up to 30 feet in length.
- Lifting and launching risks.
- Loss or damage caused by latent defects.
- Personal effects.
- Damage to mast and rigging whilst racing can be purchased for an additional premium.
Third party cover provides:
- Protection for you, or authorised persons using your boat, from claims made by third parties for death or injury or damage to third-party property for which you may become legally liable.
Typical policy exclusions include:
- Damage caused by wear and tear.
- Wilful misconduct.
- Loss of value due to age of vessel.
- Losses caused by corrosion osmosis.
- Mast, spars and sails whilst racing unless the policy has been extended.
- Damage to machinery following breakdown.
- Theft unless the right security devices or locks are fitted.
- The policy excess relating to damage caused by you and also on any third party claims.