Insurance for narrowboat owners
We know that owning a narrowboat is more than just a hobby, it’s a way of life. Narrowboats offer a unique lifestyle which deserves unique insurance cover, created specifically for narrowboat owners using inland waterways.
By joining our community of narrowboat owners, you’ll benefit from specialist insurance cover that takes your needs and lifestyle into account.
Our features and benefits
We know everyone enjoys their narrowboat differently. That’s why we offer insurance cover that’s tailored to your needs. Our cover can include:
- Personal effects, belongings and contents cover
- Accidental damage including fire and theft
- Malicious damage
- £5 million third party indemnity cover (required for your canal and river trust licence)
- Up to 25% no claims bonus protected
- In-house claims team to support you from start to finish.
What's covered in our narrowboat insurance policies?
We’re always transparent about what’s included in our narrowboat insurance cover. But if you’re not sure what kind of cover you need, our friendly team is always happy to help.
We take your personal requirements into account to provide you with the level of cover that’s right for you.
What is insured?
Please note this list is not exhaustive – refer to full policy document for details.
Cover for you and your canal boat:
- Loss or damage to your insured property by one or more of the following: accident, fire, theft, malicious damage and vandalism
- Loss or damage occurring during hauling out, launching and lifting by crane, including fitting out and overhauling
- Loss or damage whilst in transit by road included as standard for vessels up to 9 metres in length
- Liability to third parties and non-fare paying passengers ‒ £5 million as standard
- Your legal costs in settling or defending a claim, solicitor’s fees and other expenses relating to official enquiries or a coroner’s inquest
What's not insured?
- The cost of repairing or replacing any part that is lost or damaged because it is faulty
- Loss or damage caused by insects, marine borers, barnacles, marine growth, fungi or molluscs
- Any legal liabilities incurred whilst your boat is being used by, or is in the custody or control of any person employed in the marine trade in conjunction with their business
Excellent cover, very reasonably priced and great customer service. Easy to recommend.Dan from Fife
Why choose us for narrowboat insurance?
Our team is different because we understand the unique and tranquil narrowboat life.
We do all the hard stuff so you can get back to enjoying your time on the water with confidence and peace of mind. We’re proud to offer:
- 40 years of marine broking experience, backed by the world’s leading insurance broker and risk adviser
- Real people giving you a personalised service
- A diverse team passionate about boats
- Market value and agreed value policies
- A trusted partner of the RYA
- Quality products backed by A-rated insurers
- The flexibility to buy the way you want – online or over the phone
- Access to are friendly team who is always on hand to help, especially if buying online isn’t quite right for you.
Our promise to you
We take narrowboat insurance seriously, so you’ll always know you’re in the right hands. We promise to:
- Represent your interests at the time of a claim to get you the very best outcome
- Give proactive risk management advice to protect your boat
- Make it easy to make changes to your cover throughout the year.
We'll go the extra mile when you need us to
Our dedicated team loves to answer your questions and go the extra mile wherever they can. And we’re not just boat experts, we’re also experts in:
- Finding solutions to fit clients’ complex needs
- Explaining policy conditions and exclusions so you don’t fall foul of them
- Explaining the risks to new boat owners
- Walking you through the whole process of insuring your narrowboat.
Frequently asked questions
- Anybody over the age of 76 at the time of the incident
- Incidents occurring while your vessel is being used for any purpose other than private and pleasure.
We offer two options:
- Third party liability cover only ‒ third party cover to others for injury or damage caused up to £5 million.
- Comprehensive cover – damage to or loss of or from your vessel up to the total sum insured along with third party cover to others for injury or damage caused up to £5 million.
Damage or loss could be accidental damage, malicious damage, vandalism, fire, storm, flood or theft.
There's a number of simple things you can do, such as making sure your windows are securely locked and closing your curtains when you’re not on board. Make sure you don't leave anything of value on the deck when moored up that might attract passers-by.
Install a fuel lock cap to prevent fuel theft. Make sure the serial number of any outboard motors are safely recorded and don't keep important documents on board.
If you really want to reduce the chances of a break-in, it's worth investing in an anti-theft device. Thefts often happen because the perpetrator sees an opportunity on your boat that others don't present. With this in mind, installing security technology such as alarm systems, security lights and CCTV reduces the likelihood of a break-in.
Yes, narrowboat insurance usually is a mandatory requirement before you take your vessel out on a canal in the UK.
Third party liability is the legal requirement.