Finding you the right yacht insurance cover
Finding the right yacht insurance cover should only add to your joy of sailing. Many of our team are sailing enthusiasts, so we understand the kind of marine insurance cover you’re looking for.
Our expert team will work closely with you to understand how you sail, and where, to find you comprehensive cover that takes all of your individual needs into account.
Our features and benefits
We know everyone enjoys sailing differently. That’s why we offer marine insurance cover that’s tailored to your needs. Our comprehensive cover can include:
- Cruising ranges can be tailored to your individual requirements
- No excess on non-fault claims whilst moored in a UK marina
- Road transit up to 9 metres with option to extend
- Up to 25% no claims bonus protected
- In house claims team to support you from start to finish
- Discount for RYA members
- Policy arranged on market value but can consider agreed value
Protection from the unforeseen
- Accidental damage including fire and theft
- Personal accident cover
- £5 million third party cover
Need something specific?
We’re perfectly positioned to find you comprehensive cover tailored to your specific needs. We can also alter your yacht insurance policy to include the right cover for you:
- Dinghy and tender
- Outboard engine
- Life raft
- Personal belongings
- Special equipment – for example portable navigational equipment
We're unable to quote for steamboats online. Please call the team to get a quote.
What’s included in our yacht insurance cover?
We’re always transparent about what’s included in our yacht insurance cover. But if you’re not sure what kind of cover you need, our friendly team is on hand to help.
We take your personal requirements into account to provide you with the level of cover that’s right for you.
Please note this list is not exhaustive – refer to your full policy documents for details.
What is insured?
The right cover for you and your yacht:
- Loss or damage to your insured property by one or more of the following: Accident, fire, theft, malicious damage and vandalism
- Loss or damage occurring during hauling out, launching and lifting by crane, including fitting out and overhauling
- Loss or damage whilst in transit by road included as standard for vessels up to 9 metres in length
- Liability to third parties and non-fare paying passengers - £5 million as standard
- Your legal costs in settling or defending a claim, solicitors fees and other expenses relating to official enquiries or coroners inquest
What's not insured?
- The cost of repairing or replacing any part that is lost or damaged because it is faulty
- Loss or damage caused by insects, marine borers, barnacles, marine growth, fungi or molluscs
- Any liabilities incurred whilst your boat is being used by, or is in the custody or control of any person employed in the marine trade in conjunction with their business.
New Client - Very Satisfied! My representative handled my somewhat unique situation professionally and expeditiously. He was knowledgeable and communicated in a timely manner. I am thoroughly satisfied and would highly recommend Bishop Skinner.Henry
Why insure your yacht with us?
Our team are different because we understand the lifestyle of owning various types of vessels.
Having our yacht insurance experts do all the hard work lets you get back to enjoying your hobby with confidence and peace of mind.
We’re proud to offer:
- 40 years of marine broking experience, backed by the world’s leading insurance broker and risk adviser
- Real people giving you a personalised service
- A diverse team passionate about boats
- Market value and agreed value policies
- A trusted partner of the RYA
- Quality products backed by A-rated insurers
- The flexibility to buy the way you want – online or over the phone
- Access to are friendly team who is always on hand to help, especially if buying online isn’t quite right for you.
Our promise to you
We take yacht insurance seriously, so that you’ll always know you’re in the right hands. We promise to:
- Represent your interests at the time of a claim to get you the very best outcome
- Give proactive risk management advice to protect your boat
- Make it easy to make changes to your cover throughout the year.
Going the extra mile
Our dedicated team love to answer your questions and go the extra mile wherever they can. And we’re not just boat experts, we’re also experts in:
- Finding solutions to fit complex client needs
- Explaining conditions and exclusions so you don’t fall foul of them
- Explaining the process of insuring a yacht
- Explaining the risks to new yacht owners
- Walking you through the whole process of insuring a yacht.
Still not sure what yacht cover you need?
No problem, we'd love to talk to you about your needs. Call our experts today.
Frequently asked questions
Marine insurance is not actually a legal requirement in the UK. But, if you are considering buying a yacht, it makes sense to protect your investment.
Evidence of third party cover is compulsory at most marinas, harbours and in recognised mooring areas. In order to get an inland waterways licence, you may need to produce proof of third party cover.
Broadly speaking this covers claims you legally have to pay as a result of owning your boat for injury to other people or damage to their property (reference should be made to full terms and conditions of the policy)
While it is not usually a legal requirement on most waters, having appropriate cover makes sound financial sense. Marine mortgage companies for instance insist on compulsory insurance as part of their money lending process. However, there are two stand-out reasons why boat insurance is important:
- Firstly you have to protect your capital investment against loss or damage which ultimately could result in a large and costly repair bill if the worst were to happen.
- Secondly having adequate boat insurance can help to protect you against any third party liability for injury or damage caused by you or your vessel. Third party liability is usually the most frequent claim we receive when it comes to boat insurance.