Insurance for motorboat owners
We know you chose your motorboat carefully to suit your lifestyle. That’s why our specialist motorboat insurance team will work closely with you to get to know you and what cover you’re looking for. This will help us find you cover that takes all of your individual needs into account.
Our features and benefits
- Damage to underwater gear and equipment
- Road transit up to 9 metres with option to extend
- No excess on non-fault claims whilst moored in a UK marina
- Up to 25% no claims bonus protected
- In-house claims team to support you from start to finish
- RYA member discount.
Including protection from the unforeseen
- Accidental damage including fire and theft
- Personal accident cover
- £5 million third party liability cover.
What's covered in our motor boat insurance policies?
We’re always transparent about what’s included in our motorboat insurance cover. But if you’re not sure what kind of cover you need, our friendly team is always happy to help.
We take your personal requirements into account to provide you with the level of cover that’s right for you.
We're unable to quote for steamboats online. Please call the team to get a quote.
What is insured?
Please note this list is not exhaustive – refer to full policy document for details.
Cover for you and your motorboat:
- Loss or damage to your insured property by one or more of the following: accident, fire, theft, malicious damage and vandalism
- Loss or damage occurring during hauling out, launching and lifting by crane, including fitting out and overhauling
- Loss or damage whilst in transit by road included as standard for vessels up to 9 metres in length
- Liability to third parties and non-fare paying passengers ‒ £5 million as standard
- Your legal costs in settling or defending a claim, solicitor’s fees and other expenses relating to official enquiries or a coroner’s inquest
What is not insured?
- The cost of repairing or replacing any part that is lost or damaged because it is faulty
- Loss or damage caused by insects, marine borers, barnacles, marine growth, fungi or molluscs
- Any liabilities incurred whilst your boat is being used by, or is in the custody or control of any person employed in the marine trade in conjunction with their business.
So easy and simple. I phoned up and within 10 minutes I had the insurance I wanted.Marc
Why insure your motorboat with us?
Our team is different because we understand the lifestyle of owning a motorboat.
Having our motorboat insurance experts do all the hard work lets you get back to enjoying your hobby with confidence and peace of mind. We’re proud to offer:
- 40 years of marine broking experience, backed by the world’s leading insurance broker and risk adviser
- Real people giving you a personalised service
- A diverse team passionate about boats
- Market value and agreed value policies
- A trusted partner of the RYA
- Quality products backed by A-rated insurers
- The flexibility to buy the way you want – online or over the phone
- Access to are friendly team who is always on hand to help, especially if buying online isn’t quite right for you.
Our promise to you
We take motorboat insurance seriously, so you’ll always know you’re in the right hands. We promise to:
- Represent your interests at the time of a claim to get you the very best outcome
- Provide proactive risk management advice to protect your boat
- Make it easy for you to make changes to your cover throughout the year.
We'll go the extra mile when you need us to
Our dedicated team loves to answer your questions and go the extra mile wherever they can. And we’re not just boat experts, we’re also experts in:
- Finding solutions to fit clients’ complex needs
- Explaining policy conditions and exclusions so you don’t fall foul of them
- Explaining the risks to new boat owners
- Walking you through the whole process of insuring your vessel.
Frequently asked questions
Generally, yes. Your cover will include any no claims bonus that you have built up.
Be sure to read your policy wording carefully to ensure there aren’t any terms that render your no claims void.
Please contact us, we are happy to explain your boat insurance cover if you’re unsure about anything.
We can explain the full details to ensure we protect your boat and that you have enough cover.
While it is not usually a legal requirement on most waters, having appropriate cover makes sound financial sense. Marine mortgage companies for instance insist on compulsory insurance as part of their money lending process. However, there are two stand-out reasons why boat insurance is important:
- Firstly you have to protect your capital investment against loss or damage which ultimately could result in a large and costly repair bill if the worst were to happen.
- Secondly having adequate boat insurance can help to protect you against any third party liability for injury or damage caused by you or your vessel. Third party liability is usually the most frequent claim we receive when it comes to boat insurance.